The head-mounted device which provides virtual reality is known as the virtual reality headset. These you can use widely with video games, animations, etc., including simulators.
PlayStation VR was launched back in 2016 and still is one of the best-trading high-end VR headset ever. Also, it is not surprising because the providing features till it has made. You can have a plug-in into your console and just get started. Until August 2018, it had shifted more than 3 million PSVR systems. Moreover, around 21.9 million VR games, apps people bought along with this VR headset.
Sony’s PlayStation came with their VR product in the last phase of 2016, pricing at $399. Sony PlayStation is famous for their PS1 to PS5 series, following by PS Vita. So, let’s figure out today how crucial and efficient the PS VR is, all of its elemental review in a nutshell.
Designing & Requirements
To fill up all of the requirements in your board, the only thing you need is to use the PS4 or PS4 Pro. The price it requires after adding these systems for an immersive VR experience is nothing but lesser than the pricing of HTC Vive or even Oculus Rift.
The headset carries white plastic. Also, a prominent visor holds most of the electronics while a single broad headband runs around the back of the head. It weighs 1.3 pounds, feels a bit heavy to carry but comparatively better than Oculus Rift and HTC Vive.
The headband of it is going through a plastic crosspiece with the adjusting of wheel and button.
The gray panels are staying on the front, hiding the lights which come from the headset.
Also, a wire is visible on the left side of the visor that avails to get connected to the VR processor box.
Setup and Display
- First of first, what you need is to plug the processor box in front of the PS4 or PS4 Pro, including a USB cable.
- Insert an HDMI cable into the back of the PS4 and another with your television.
- After that, plug the PS VR headset into the box with a VR-connected cable.
- At last, plugging the PS Camera back in PS4; turn on the PS4 after connecting, and all are ready to play.
- Once it gets booted up, click the power button of the headset. It will turn on, and the menu of PS4 will be visible in front of your TV set finally.
- Using 1,920-by-1,080 OLED panel, split 960-by-1080 images that are lesser than Oculus Rift and HTC Vive, this makes it slightly grainier.
- Minor pixelation doesn’t bring any attention to users.
- Having VR’s panel a 120Hz refresh rate.
As of November 2020, the price remains around $320 for this VR headset, available at Walmart, Amazon. As a result, in comparison with HTC Vive($399) and Oculus Rift($465), PS VR is less expensive.
-For its ergonomic design and intuitive controls, it appears with natural movements and makes it more interactive indeed.
-You will meet here exciting features which you haven’t experienced before. You can inhabit a character and control their movements with better accuracy.
-Graphics serves here realistic feelings allover in your game time as well as 3D objects take over the traditional graphics.
PlayStation VR VS The Rest
Still, it has got different and unique features that make it more attractive in the market. Where almost other top branded VR headsets require an expensive PC setup, including HTC Vive, Oculus Rift. This VR headset only requires a PS4 console to run.
Moreover, the competition between this VR and Oculus Go expectedly went in vain. Oculus couldn’t fight against PSVR with their Go model for less immersive game and display quality. This way makes better room for growing PSVR and spread widely to the market.
Experiencing different types of games, PSVR has been proving itself a better one in the market meanwhile. So, it was leading from the front, and it will continue the rest of the time in the market.
- Affordable pricing
- Quality selection of games
- Immersive Virtual Reality experience
- Motion control support
- Near to the PC-quality performance
- Flows with non-VR-based apps and games
- Doesn’t come with the required accessories
- Spotty motion controller tracking
- Requires PlayStation Camera, which is exclusive of it
- Comparatively less efficient than its main competitors
- Having motion-tracking hiccups when playing in brightly lit rooms
Specifications in Comparison
|HTC Vive||Sony PlayStation VR||Oculus Rift|
|Per Eye Resolution||1080*1200||960*1080||1080*1200|
|Field of View||110 degree||100 degree||110 degree|
|Display Tech||PenTile OLED||OLED||PenTile OLED|
In today’s world, much more advanced VR headsets are coming. Consequently, to compete with the latest, PSVR requires to fix their drawbacks into consideration. Still, it is one of the cheapest VR headsets in the market. Furthermore, for the immersive experiences in display quality and other specifications, PSVR shows its potential to date. Maybe we can see the soon more advanced product of PSVR, keeping the legacy ahead.